This creepy Dirt and Worms Frosting Board is the perfect treat for your Halloween party or to leave out for trick-or-treaters. The chocolatey dirt, gummy worm surprises, and tombstone decorations will be a hit with kids and adults alike.
Halloween is, hands down, my favorite holiday. As soon as October 1st hits, I go all out, transforming my house into a haunted spectacle and concocting spooky treats.
This year, I decided to challenge myself to create an interactive Dirt and Worms Dessert Board that looked realistically gross yet delicious.
The inspiration struck when I was shopping for Halloween candy and saw gummy worms.
I immediately envisioned them poking out of rich, chocolatey “dirt.” It would be the perfect creepy-crawly centerpiece for my upcoming Halloween bash!
Why You'll Love the Dirt and Worms Frosting Board
- Ease of Preparation: With simple steps and easily accessible ingredients, crafting this board is a breeze!
- Transportable Treat: Designed for easy transportation, this board is your go-to party favors whether you're hosting or attending.
- Instagram-worthy: Its aesthetic appeal makes it a picturesque centerpiece, ready to harvest a ton of likes on your social media!
- Versatile Ingredients: The recipe allows for a variety of ingredients, making it a customizable treat for all taste buds.
- Engagement Galore: Preparing the board is an engaging activity for families, making the sweet indulgence even more rewarding.
Ingredients You'll Need
For this heavenly board, gather the following ingredients:
- Chocolate Frosting
- OREO Cookies
- Little Debbie Fudge Rounds
- Little Debbie Frosted Fudge Cakes
- Hostess Chocolate Bundt Cakes
- Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies
- Brownie Bites
- Chocolate Donut Holes
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Mini Chocolate Cupcakes
- Pinwheel Cookies
- Hershey Chocolate Bar
- Mini OREO Cookies
- Nonpareil Halloween Sprinkles
- Mini Candy Eyes
- Tombstone Icing Decorations
- Ghost Icing Decorations
- Gummy Worms
Supplies Needed For Dirt and Worms Frosting Board
Preparing Your Halloween Frosting Board
Step 1: Prepping The OREOs
Begin by roughly crushing and crumbling 10 OREO Cookies, and set them aside for now. These will add a nice crunch amidst the smooth frosting.
Step 2: Laying The Frosting Foundation
Grab your offset spatula and generously spread the entire container of chocolate frosting into the center of a clean serving tray. This acts as a delightful adhesive base for the rest of our ingredients.
Step 3: Adding The OREO Crunch
Sprinkle all of the crushed OREO cookies on top of the frosting, creating a textured layer that’s visually appealing and tantalizing to the taste buds.
Step 4: Positioning The Fudge Rounds
Place Fudge Rounds at your serving tray's top left and bottom right corners. Their round shape contrasts the square tray, and their rich flavor enhances the chocolatey theme.
Step 5: Aligning The Frosted Fudge Cakes
Add Little Debbie Frosted Fudge Cakes to the top right and bottom left corners. These cakes will add a different texture and a sweet fudge flavor that pairs well with the chocolate frosting.
Step 6: OREO Perimeter
Arrange the remaining OREO cookies around the serving tray's top, bottom, and sides, creating a border that holds in the sweetness about to unfold.
Step 7: Filling In With Brownie Delights
Fill in the rest of the outside edges of the tray with brownie bites, cosmic brownies, and mini bundt cakes. These brownie varieties will give different textures and chocolate intensities.
Step 8: Populating With Mini Treats
Fill the remaining spaces with mini cupcakes, donut holes, chocolate bars, and Pinwheel cookies. These mini treats make the board look abundant and provide different flavor profiles.
Step 9: The Mini OREO Fill
Fill in any smaller gaps and spaces with mini OREO cookies. They are cute, they are crunchy, and they complete our frosting board by filling in any empty spaces.
Step 10: Sprinkling Magic
Add a few pinches of sprinkles over the crushed OREO in the center of the tray. Place ghost and tomb icing decorations to adorn the center, bringing in that eerie Halloween vibe.
Step 11: Gummy Worm Invasion
Lastly, spread the gummy worms out over the entire serving tray, adding a fun and spooky touch to your Halloween frosting board.
Step 12: Ready to Serve
Your frosting board is now ready to bewitch your guests. Serve with spoons and plates, and watch the magic unfold as your guests dive into this sinful sweetness.
- Use store-bought dirt pudding or chocolate pudding for quick and easy dirt.
- Try different cookies like chocolate wafer cookies or chocolate graham crackers for the crushed dirt.
- Mix in Halloween sprinkles, coconut flakes, or crushed cookies for texture.
- Add extra spooky elements like skeleton hands, bones, or spiders.
- For food allergies, swap in yogurt or non-dairy pudding for the dirt. Use vegan chocolate and gummies.
- Keep components refrigerated until ready to serve for optimal freshness.
- Have extras on hand to refill the platter if needed.
Alternative Ingredient Ideas For The Halloween Frosting Board
- White Chocolate Frosting: For a lighter, sweeter base.
- Assorted Macarons: Adding a French touch and a burst of colors.
- Peanut Butter Cups: For a nutty, chocolaty delight.
- Sour Gummy Candies: To add a tangy twist.
- Marshmallow Ghosts: For a spooky, soft chew.
FAQ's For Dirt and Worms Frosting Board
What can I use instead of OREO cookies?
Chocolate graham crackers, chocolate teddy grahams, chocolate wafer cookies, or chocolate sandwich cookies all work well crushed up for dirt.
Can I substitute the chocolate frosting with something less sweet?
Certainly! Cream cheese frosting or peanut butter could be less sweet alternatives.
What can I add to this dirt and worms board?
Get extra creative by adding plastic spiders, skeletons, bones, or creepy Halloween decorations. You can also serve fun monster eyeballs made from chocolate-dipped strawberries.
Are there any nut-free alternatives for this recipe
Yes, you can skip any nut-based items and replace them with more of the other ingredients or new nut-free items like marshmallows or extra chocolate candies.
How long will this dessert board last?
The board is best served the same day for freshness. The components can be made 1-2 days in advance and assembled right before serving.
Dive into Your Sweet Adventure
Now that you've got a glimpse into the sweet spectacle awaiting you, it's time to dive in and craft your very own Dirt and Worms Frosting Board. The path to sweet indulgence is just a click away!
Hit print to have this recipe handy as you create, pin it to your festive board to revisit later, and share your personalized touch in the comment section below. Your journey into a realm of sweet and spooky delights awaits!
If you get a chance to try it, let us know! Leave us a comment below, or share it with a picture on Instagram or Facebook! Don’t forget to tag us @sweetandsavorymorsels and use the hashtag #sweetandsavorymorsels so we can see what amazing meals you are cooking!
Dirt and Worms Frosting Board Recipe
Dirt and Worms Frosting Board
- Chocolate Frosting Tub 16 oz
- 24 OREO Cookies divided
- 4 Little Debbie Fudge Rounds
- 4 Little Debbie Frosted Fudge Cakes
- 4 Hostess Chocolate Bundt Cakes
- 2 Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies halved
- 6 Brownie Bites
- 4 Chocolate Donut Holes
- 6 Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- 2 Mini Chocolate Cupcakes
- 2 Pinwheel Cookies
- 1 Hershey Chocolate Bar 1.55 oz, divided
- 12 Mini OREO Cookies
- Nonpareil Halloween Sprinkles
- 6 Mini Candy Eyes
- 2 Tombstone Icing Decorations
- 2 Ghost Icing Decorations
- 8 Gummy Worms
- Roughly crush and crumble 10 OREO Cookies and set aside.
- Use an offset spatula to spread entire container of chocolate frosting into the center of a clean serving tray.
- Sprinkle all of the crushed OREO cookies on top of the frosting.
- Add Fudge Rounds to the top left and bottom right corners.
- Add Little Debbie Frosted Fudge Cakes to the top right and bottom left corners.
- Add remaining OREO cookies around the top and bottom of the serving tray and then on the sides.
- Fill in the rest of the outside edges of the tray with brownie bites, cosmic brownies and mini bundt cakes.
- Fill the remaining spaces with mini cupcakes, donut holes, chocolate bars and Pinwheel cookies.
- Fill in remaining any smaller gaps and spaces with mini OREO cookies.
- Add a few pinches of sprinkles over the crushed OREO in the center of the tray. Add ghost and tomb icing decorations to the center.
- Lastly, spread the gummy worms out over the entire serving tray.
- Serve your Frosting Board with spoons and plates.