Tender, fall-apart chunks of beef braised in beef broth and vegetables for an unbelievably easy and delicious gluten-free Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner. It's the perfect recipe for St. Patrick's Day (or any other day of the year)!
March is Irish American Heritage Month. And, St. Patrick's Day, March 17, is also National Corned Beef and Cabbage Day! So what better way to celebrate than with that Irish American favorite recipe cooked in an Instant Pot?!
Unlike most traditional corned beef recipes that use dark beer as the cooking liquid, this gluten-free version relies on chicken or beef broth instead, No worries though, as it won't alter the richness of the sauce. And you could always substitute the beer back in.
This is not only a wonderful meal to celebrate St. Patrick's Day (or any other day of the year), but it's also a great option for anyone avoiding gluten and/or dairy. Plus…corned beef leftovers are the best!
Is Corned Beef and Cabbage Really An Irish Recipe?
I make corned beef and cabbage every year around St. Patrick’s Day. It’s a tradition that just can’t be ignored. Yep. That's how good this recipe is! But is it actually Irish, or not?
While it's traditionally served here in the U.S. every St. Patrick’s Day, you won’t likely find it served at the local pub in Ireland. Instead, it's more of an Irish-American tradition and a tasty one at that!
So without further ado, here's my favorite Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe.
How to Make Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
Making this gluten-free corned beef and cabbage recipe is a breeze! To make the corned beef cook quicker, cut the meat into 2-3 chunks so it cooks faster and more evenly. To save even more time, prep the carrots, potatoes, and cabbage after the beef is already cooking.
KITCHEN TOOLS YOU MAY NEED
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Sweet and Savory Morsels may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend items we use and love.
Ingredients Needed for Corned Beef and Cabbage
This recipe requires surprisingly few ingredients for such a flavorful meal. Whether you’re making Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage or slow cooker corned beef and cabbage, the ingredients remain the same.
- garlic, peeled and minced
- yellow onions, chopped
- bay leaves
- beef or chicken broth, preferably organic
- corned beef brisket with spice pack
- Sea salt and black pepper
- red potatoes
- cabbage head
What’s the Best Cut of Meat for Corned Beef?
The actual cut of meat used for corned beef is brisket. This is a tough cut of meat that's found in the chest of the steer above the front legs. While you can purchase an entire brisket, most are cut into two pieces for resale, called the pointcut and the flat cut.
A pointcut is thicker, has more fat content, and many people say it's a more flavorful cut. It also tends to be more juicy and tender after cooking. A flat cut is thinner, and still has a layer of fat on the bottom of it that helps keep it moist after the slow cooking process. It also makes for a better presentation.
When it comes to the best cut of meat for corned beef, it really comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer the point cut as it tends to have more marbling and fat which makes this corned beef recipe mouthwateringly juicy and tender.
When picking out your package of corned beef, it will shrink by about one third when cooked regardless of whether it's a flat cut or point cut.
Printable Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe
Instant Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 6 lg cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 2 small yellow onions chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups beef (or chicken) broth preferably organic
- 1 cup water
- 2½-4 lbs corned beef brisket with spice pack
- 5 large carrots cut into strips
- 1 lb red potatoes quartered
- ½ large cabbage head sliced
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Add onions, garlic, and bay leaves to Instant Pot and pour the water and broth on top. Place the trivet that came with the Instant Pot inside the container handles up for easy removal.
- Place meat flat-side down on trivet. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then add the seasoning packet that came with the meat.
- Add lid, lock into place. Set to "Sealing" and select the"Manual" button. Adjust to high setting, and set cook time to 85 minutes.
- When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release on any remaining pressure.
- Remove brisket using trivet handles and potholders, ad transfer to a serving platter. Set aside and keep warm.
- Return trivet to Instant Pot, and add carrots, potatoes, and cabbage on top. Cover and lock lid into place. Set to vent to 'Sealing" and select the "Manual" button. Set the time for 3 minutes.
- Once finished, allow pressure to release "Naturally" for 5 minutes before doing a quick release on remaining pressure.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to serving platter with the corned beef. Slice beef against the grain and serve immediately.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Looking for more easy yet delicious Instant Pot recipes? Check out the following!
If you’ve made this or any other of our recipes we would love to know! Share 'em on Instagram or Facebook, and be sure you tag us @sweetandsavorymorsels and use the hashtag #sweetandsavorymorsels so we can see all the things you’ve made!