A Southern classic recipe that's been adapted for faster cooking, this Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas recipe is a must-make! Dried black-eyed peas are cooked in a flavorful broth along with bacon and onion for a delectable side dish the whole family will enjoy!
While black-eyed peas are traditionally served as a New Year's side, this particular recipe is so good, you'll enjoy it year-round!
In fact, this particular Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas recipe is so darn good you won't want to cook them any other way. In a little over an hour, you'll have soft, tender black-eyed peas flavored with bacon and onion ready to enjoy!
How to Make Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas
Dried peas are cooked in a flavorful broth along with bacon and onion for a delicious side dish the whole family will enjoy! Are you ready to get started?
You'll find the specific ingredient amounts and detailed instructions in the printable recipe at the bottom of this post.
Kitchen Tools You May Need
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links for products or services we think you’ll like. This means if you make a purchase from one of these links, Sweet and Savory Morsels may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. We only recommend items we use and love.
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas Ingredients
This quick and easy Black-Eyed Peas recipe uses everyday kitchen staples to create a delicious side dish your family will love. All you need is:
- dried black-eyed peas
- an onion
- a few strips of bacon
- chicken broth
- a few everyday spices
Black-Eyed Peas Recipe Instructions
Using an Instant Pot or other pressure cooker makes preparing these tasty black-eyed peas a cinch. Especially since there is no soaking required. You simply saute the bacon and onion directly in the Instant Pot, then toss in the black-eyed peas, chicken broth, and seasonings. Then just let them cook. In a little over an hour, you'll have a side dish that's sure to become a new favorite!
Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas Tips and Questions
If you've never made Black-Eyed Peas in a pressure cooker, don't worry! Below are some common questions and helpful tips. Hopefully, this will answer any questions you may have. If not, feel free to ask in the comments and I'll answer the best I can.
How Long Does It REALLY Take to Cook Black-Eyed Peas in the Instant Pot?
One of the many reasons I love my Instant Pot is because everything you make takes much less time. This Black-Eyed peas recipe takes approximately 72 minutes. TOTAL. This includes:
- About 5 minutes of prep time
- Close to 10 Minutes to Saute the bacon and brown the onions
- Around 13 minutes for the pot to come to pressure (this is how long it took my pot)
- 16 minutes manual (high) pressure
- 15 minutes of sitting time
- 13 minutes for pressure release
If you were to cook dried black-eyed peas on the stovetop, you'd be looking at soaking overnight, and then cooking for at least 1.5 hours. And that is not including the time it takes to saute the bacon and brown the onion!
Do I Need to Soak Black-Eyed Peas Before Cooking?
Nope. That's the beauty of using an Instant Pot or other pressure cookers! No soaking is needed.
What Goes Well with Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas?
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas go well with a wide variety of meals. Some of my personal favorites include:
- Grilled Steak
- Hamburger Steak with Gravy and Onion
- Baked chicken
- Beef or Chicken Kabobs
Can I Use Frozen Black-Eyed Peas Instead of Dried?
Yes, you can use frozen black-eyed peas in this recipe instead of dried. The steps will be pretty much the same. As for the taste, however, in my opinion, the dried ones taste better.
What Else Can I Add to This Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas Recipe?
This simple pressure cooker black-eyed peas recipe not only tastes great, but it's also incredibly versatile. Try adding a can of stewed tomatoes, about a half a cup of chopped celery, and 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar for a great variation on this recipe!
Add a spicy kick by mixing in a splash of hot sauce like Texas Pete's Green Pepper Hot Sauce. YUM!
Instant Pot Black-Eyed Peas Recipe
- Instant Pot or other Pressure Cooker
- 2 cups black-eyed peas dried
- 3½ cups chicken broth
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 6 strips of bacon cut into 1" pieces
- 1 tsp fresh garlic minced
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp seasoned pepper
- Rinse the Black Eyed Peas in cold water, and set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot to 'SAUTE', and cook the bacon until it's done.
- Remove the bacon to paper towels, then remove the fat from the Instant Pot, making sure to leave about 1 tablespoonful.
- Turn the Instant Pot to 'SAUTE', and cook the chopped onion in the remaining bacon fat until it's golden brown.
- Turn off the Saute setting, and add the Chicken Broth, back eyed peas, and minced garlic.
- Stir in the garlic salt, seasoned salt, and seasoned pepper.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot until it beeps and locks. Make sure the pressure valve is set to 'SEALING', then press the 'MANUAL' button, and set the cooking time for 16 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle is over, allow the black-eyed peas to sit for 15 minutes before releasing the pressure by turning the valve to 'VENTING'.
- Once the steam has released and the float valve has dropped, remove the lid and stir the peas.
- Add in the cooked bacon, stirring to combine.
- Leave the peas in the pressure cooker until serving.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does!
If you get a chance to try it, let us know! Leave us a comment below, or share it with a picture on Instagram or Facebook! Don't forget to tag us @sweetandsavorymorsels and use the hashtag #sweetandsavorymorsels so we can see what amazing meals you are cooking up!